Friday, November 6, 2009

Is Zavon the 'New' Tony Cottee?

Our diminutive goal hero Zavon (no ‘r’(full of beans)) Hines is adamant he is ready to take his chance in the first-team after Carlton Cole was side-lined with what appears to be a hamstring injury which could keep him out for a few weeks.


The pacey little 20-year-old grabbed his first top flight goal for us when he pounced in injury time to earn (and we did earn) all three points against Villa in our first home win of the season.

I watched the post match interview with Martin O’Neill and he wasn’t best pleased with the outcome of a real fox-in-the-box strike late into second half stoppage time. I think the Villa manager expected more against a struggling team.  "I don't think we should have been beaten in the game, "O'Neill said. "I think we did enough to get something”.

On the contrary however the jubilation in the West Ham dug out was overtly palpable as the second goal slipped past Friedel right at the death, with the jubilant Hines reeling away in celebration stroking the badge


 As I say the 2-1 victory, our first home league win of the season, lifted the Mighty Hammers out of the bottom three, we are currently comfortable in the sixteenth slot, let’s hope looking up now and not down.

Although Zola’s now sweating on the fitness of our current in-form England striker, Hinesy insists that he is ready to step up to the plate. Cole was forced out of the action in the first half but Hines is ready to seize his chance should Cole be sidelined for any length of time. "I am delighted," said Hines. "It's my first Premier League goal so it's a good feeling to get started. Everyone is buzzing to get that first home win. I'm not a superstar; it's all about the team. I'm just really glad we got the win. The manager told me to go and do what I can do and that's what I did. It's just such a good feeling to get the win."

Hines looks certain to replace Cole against Everton on Sunday and the following weekend he could figure in England's Under-21 qualifier against Portugal at Wembley.

"I'm a very different player to Carlton, who's been tremendous for us so far, but I'm ready to do my level best," he added. "It's all about taking your chance when you get it. I had been plugging away in the reserves but I've got my opportunity this season and I've tried to take it." Zola has no qualms about giving Hines a chance and commented: "Zavon was in the middle of three defenders when he scored but he kept his composure. He deserves to be in the spotlight."

Hines also played a part in West Ham's first goal, scored by Mark Noble from the penalty spot just before half-time, after referee Steve Bennett considered that Hines had been brought down unfairly by Beye, who was booked for the challenge.

Zavon has made a very encouraging start to his premiership career at such an important time for The Hammers – is it too soon to be comparing him to our legendary Tony Cottee?

No comments:

Post a Comment